Technology and Data Senior Strategist Virtual, Virtual, Virtual
Technology and Data Senior Strategist FRIDA | The Young Feminist Fund
Location: Flexible but preferably in Global South, to be negotiated with the final candidateType: full-time staff Compensation: USD $36,500 + Medical Benefits
ABOUT FRIDAFounded in 2010, FRIDA | The Young Feminist Fund is the only youth-led fund focused exclusively on supporting young feminist activism to advance social justice movements and agendas across the globe. We believe in the collective power, expertise, and innovation of young feminist organizers to address root causes and structures of inequality in order to create lasting change in their communities. To this end, FRIDA:
Provides small flexible grants to fund initiatives led by young women and trans* youth under 30 years old with small flexible grants for core support, selected through an annual participatory review process. Offers opportunities for capacity development that are accessible and responsive to the needs of young feminist organizers, and based on linking and learning relationships that strengthen networks of young feminist activists within multigenerational movements;Mobilizes resources from both traditional and non-traditional sources, with new and modern methods, to enhance the quality and quantity of funding for women’s human rights; andBuilds knowledge for advocacy to ensure financial and non-financial policies are inclusive and responsive to the priorities articulated by young women, girls and trans* youth.
ABOUT THE POSITION AND SCOPE OF WORKCurrently, FRIDA is present across three social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram), and hosts our website on WordPress. We have experienced exponential growth in staff size, reach and popularity. For this reason, securing our communications and data has become a central priority. We are looking for a young feminist technologist and activist who understands the politics of gender, technology and cyberfeminism. Given that FRIDA’s primary work, presence, and engagement is online, this position requires someone with the awareness and ability to counter threats young feminists experience when organizing online. This is a full-time position (35 hours per week) and requires full participation in FRIDA’s virtual office and any in-person staff meetings.
RESPONSIBILITIES:The staff member will specifically be responsible for the following:
- Leads the creation and implementation of strategies for tech development at FRIDA – to help make decisions on what technology solutions are safe, reliable, efficient and innovative.
- Work on implementing some general maintenance, questions and enquiries requests from team members.
- Regularly maintain and manage FRIDA website (handling malwares, malfunctions, bugs, updates, etc), ensuring that the website is not vulnerable to any attacks and remains up to date with services and updates.
- Lead on the implementation of a new data retention and deletion policy and regularly maintain FRIDA’s file storage system.
- Provide software development and technical support when we set up microsites (for example solidarity storms).
- Be available to be on call as FRIDA’s “go-to” emergency person to fix any website related technical glitches, hacking or malware attacks and support us in a situation of security threat.
- Coordinate the implementation of FRIDA security protocols across FRIDA’s different communities through trainings, webinars and the creation of a manual or handbook.
- Assist in the migration from commercial platforms to secure platforms sourced from feminist tech.
- Assist in advocacy efforts bringing more attention to issues of young feminist safety online and influence other donors to support feminist technology.
- Participate in FRIDA’s strategic thinking and planning for program directions and initiatives.
- Supervise consultants and other staff members in the tech team wherever required.
- Provide training to FRIDA staff and the FRIDA community on digital security.
- Travel and represent FRIDA at regional or global meetings as needed.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
Required Expertise & Skills:
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to handle multi-tasking, problem-solving and planning skills.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure both independently and as a team member in a virtual office.
- Familiarity and former experience of working on digital platforms like WordPress, social media, social media analytics tools, etc.
- A commitment to and awareness of young feminist activism and FRIDA’s overall mission and vision.
- Good interpersonal skills, networking and liaising in a multicultural environment.
- A strong understanding of UI, UX, cross-browser compatibility, general web functions and standards.
- Experience in planning and delivering software platforms used across multiple products and organizational units.
- Ability to work in fluent English is required.
- Other FRIDA languages such as Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese or Mandarin are desired but not essential.
Know someone who would be a perfect fit? Let them know!
Follow the link to apply: https://workforfrida.humi.ca/job-board/cat/4019