Who we are?
FRIDA | The Young Feminist Fund is the only youth-led fund in the world dedicated to supporting the young feminist movement in the Global South. Initiated in November 2010, FRIDA aims to increase and diversify young feminist activist participation, leadership and collective power within and across social justice movements. As a resource mobilizer and movement catalyzer, FRIDA seeks to influence the philanthropic field to provide more and better resources towards young feminist organizing. This involves producing cutting edge research, engaging in community education and advocacy, and pioneering new ways of raising resources.
FRIDA is seeking a passionate and creative person to assist us in managing our image database in order to enhance our visibility, especially on social media, our website and other online spaces. As an organization reaching its fifth year, we seek to improve our online presence and are on the lookout for an intern who can particularly help us in our visual communications via posters, graphics, illustrations, infographics, picture quotes, powerful imagery and/or video.
As FRIDA’s Communications Intern, your work would mostly be with the communications team and you will be instrumental in strengthening our presence online, helping us communicate our ideas and news to the world in a more visually appealing manner and engage with newer and diverse audience who we interact with in online spaces. This is a great opportunity to learn more about the work young feminists are engaged in globally as well as strategise and understand what would be the best and most effective way of communicating that in a visually compelling manner.
Possible projects and responsibilities to complete during internship:
- Manage FRIDA’s image database: select platform or software to store and search images, create a naming/tagging system to make easy for FRIDA to find photos;
- Publish special impact reports: Assist the team to edit special reports, design reports for publications, and coordinate dissemination across different channels;
- Develop special briefs: plan, write, and design articles and briefs on different areas of FRIDA’s work
- Write blogs and newsletters: work with the team to develop a content work plan aiming to write one blog/newsletter a month during the internship period, collect content via interviews and/or research, write piece, and publish across different channels
- General responsibilities: Curate FRIDA’s weekly social media posts, assist the comms team in photo and video editing and graphic design, track FRIDA’s online presence (who/what/where is talking about FRIDA).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required:
- Proactive, creative and have experience in online communications.
- Good proofreading and editing skills.
- Ability to compose and design well
- Good presentation skills; ability to convert strong writing into a visually appealing piece.
- Knowledge of photo editing tools like photobucket, canva, photoshop, picasa etc. Knowledge of video editing an asset.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse team spread across different countries and timezones.
- Good working knowledge of English (both Oral and Written) and preferably one more of FRIDA’s working languages (Spanish, French, Portuguese, Arabic, Russian, Mandarin).
An ideal intern would be:
- A passionate young feminist activist with a strong commitment to women’s rights, and gender equality.
- Preferably based out of Asia
- Independent and self-reliant, willing to take initiative, creative, hard working, and flexible.
- Comfortable working in a virtual environment and have reliable internet access.
- Able to commit a minimum of 15 hours per week over at least a three-month period. We are open to discussions of alternative timeframes and can be flexible.
Location: Remote (Work from home)
Remuneration: This Internship is not a paid position although a small stipend ($100USD per month) can be offered by request to assist with any costs incurred.
To Apply: Please send your CV, a short sample of your visual work (any work that displays your knack for photo and/or video editing) along with a letter outlining why you would like intern for FRIDA to firstname.lastname@example.org before February 15, 2016 12 pm GMT. Please write Communications Intern in the subject of the email.